DIGITAL ISSUES FAQ
We’ve answered a number of common questions about our digital issues and subscriptions here. If you don’t see your question, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help.
- How do I download an issue?
First log in at subscribers.locusmag.com/user/login, then you will be able to see links to all of your available issues. If you need to renew your subscription, go to locusmag.com/Magazine/Subscribe.html. On an issue page, there are three files available at the top of the page; epub, mobi, and PDF. Click on each link to download the associated file. Right-clicking will offer you additional options, depending on your browser and computer type. Contact us if you have any trouble accessing your issue.
- How do I change my e-mail or password?
Visit your profile at subscribers.locusmag.com/user. Once there, select the "Edit" tab.
- When I enter my username and password, it doesn't work. What do I do?
First, make sure caps lock is not on. Then, if you are cutting and pasting your username, try typing them in instead. When you cut and paste you can pick up extra characters or spaces, which will mess up the entry. If this does not solve the problem, try switching to a new browser.
- What if I forget my password?
Click here: subscribers.locusmag.com/user/password, and an e-mail with a reset link will be sent to you.
- Can I download my issue again, or in another format later?
Your issues will remain available on this site for you to download at your convenience.
- What about my older issues?
At present, this site does not offer access to issues prior to 2016.
- Firefox (Explorer, Chrome, etc.) won't download my file. What do I do?
First, try using a different browser. We've found some people have problems with Firefox (though it works for us) and have better luck using Explorer, and vice versa.
- When I open the digital issue, it seems to be glitching or doesn't look right. What do I do?
Internet Explorer can sometimes rename files.
If your ePub file appears as a .zip archive, edit the ".zip" extension to ".epub"
If your Mobi file appears as a .htm file, edit the ".htm" to ".mobi"
If this is not the issue, try closing and reopening the file. If that doesn't help, delete the file and download again. If it's still happening after that, please email us so we can help.
- I don't see my most recent issue. What happened?
You may have two accounts registered under two different email addresses. This can happen during renewals, if the email given by Paypal differs from the preferred delivery address, or at other points along the way. To see if this is the problem, please check your alternate emails to see if the issue went there. If so, please email email@example.com and we'll consolidate the two accounts for you.
PURCHASE & DELIVERY
- I purchased a digital issue/subscription online via PayPal, but was NOT redirected to a signup form. What do I do?
Please e-mail us and let us know. The purchase process should end in a redirect to a signup form, and if it didn't, you won't get an issue until we hear from you.
- I have a Kindle; can I just give you my Kindle email address?
Nope. We don't have the ability to send large attachments out, but we're looking into it. In the meantime, you've got to download the .mobi file and put it into your documents folder yourself. Some of our subscribers prefer to email their downloaded issues to themselves at their Kindle address to avoid the need to plug in the device for file transfer. You may also use the free Kindle app, Send to Kindle, downloadable at https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle.
- I renewed using Paypal and my issues haven't shown up yet. What happened?
If you use a different email for your Paypal transactions than your preferred Locus delivery address, this may cause a problem. Either you need to fill out the change of address form (preferred method), and/or you may indicate your delivery address in the comments section in Paypal. Sometimes Paypal does not load the comments option. If you are unable to comment as part of your Paypal transaction please complete the transaction and then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that your preferred email is different from your Paypal email.
- I've renewed my subscription, switching from print to digital, but didn't get the digital edition this month, just the print. Why?
If you are renewing, the new subscription won't begin until the old one runs out. If you would like to receive the digital issue before your print sub has expired, you can "top up" to add the digital issues for $1 per month. Contact us so we can tell you how many months you have left.
- I currently receive a print only subscription. Can I switch to digital only before my print subscription runs out?
Yes. However the remainder of your print only subscription will not be prorated. It will be a one-to-one exchange: for example, if you have six issues remaining for your print subscription, you will receive six digital issues instead.
- I signed up for a digital subscription, but don't want it to start until my current print subscription runs out.
Don't worry; your digital subscription will officially begin after your print subscription runs out.
- I'd like to purchase a digital gift subscription for someone. What do I need to do?
You must make sure we have both your name and email, and the name and email of the giftee. If you are subscribing via Paypal, all you have to do is explain in the Paypal comments section and include your friend's name and email. When the Paypal transaction directs you to a signup workflow, please use your friend's name and email, as this will automatically subscribe them to the correct mailing list.
- I receive a print plus digital subscription. What do all these numbers on my printed mailing label mean?
Your expiration date appears in year/month/day format on your mailing label (ex: 171201 expires December 01, 2017); the month listed is your final issue for the subscription. The number beginning with 1000 is your subscriber ID number.
- What will you do with my email and personal information?
Personal data collected on the subscribers.locusmag.com site is used only to provide Locus readers with easy access to their digital issues, and to improve our content and delivery. We do not sell our email list to anyone, and we do not place any third party cookies or do any tracking.